Monday, March 5, 2018

On the Road

      I've put off watching the On the Road for some time now, due tot he fact that I've always wanted to read the book and the movie just doesn't seem incredibly great, but it too seems to have the adventurous vibe I'm looking for. So with that being said I must take the leap and watch it.

       I'll be back later with an update on my thoughts and to let you guys know if any inspiration was drawn from the film.

Update: The film really wasn't that great, but an adaptation of a very well known novel like this one probably shouldn't have been done in the first place, unless it was going to be done incredibly well. So much disrespect, shake my head.

But, having purchased the book months ago, I will probably resort to it for inspiration when writing my script/characters. Also, having read Into the Wild, I will use that as inspiration for my script and characters as well.

Quotes from Into the Wild that have stuck with me:

So, in the beginning of each chapter, the author includes an excerpt of writers that seem to have an importance to Chris McCandless. One is by Jack London, as the book claims a quote reading "Jack London is King" was carved into wood nearby the famous bus.

"Dark spruce forest frowned on either side the frozen waterway. The trees had been stripped by a recent wind of their white covering of frost, and they seemed to lean toward each other, black and ominous, in the fading light. A vast silence reigned over the land. The land itself was a desolation, lifeless, without movement, so lone and cold that the spirit of it was not even that of sadness. There was a hint in it of laughter, but of a laughter more terrible than any sadness -- a laughter that was mirthless as the smile of the Sphinx, a laughter cold as the frost and partaking of the grimness of infallibility. It was the masterful and incommunicable wisdom of eternity laughing at the futility of life and the effort of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Here is my CCR. I can't say I love my film, but I have no one to blame but myself. My fear and lazy senior habits caused me to procras...